- Get with your partner and get started.
Learning Goal: To apply the concepts of kinematics to 2-dimensional motion.
Today: Shoot the Hoop
Given: meter stick, timing device, plumb bob, track assembly, ball bearing (or HotWheels car & track)
Find: The correct position of an iron ring placed on the floor so that the ball bearing rolled horizontally from the table goes through the ring on the first try.
- THE BALL BEARING IS NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE THE TABLE UNTIL YOU HAVE SHOWED MR. MASON THE GUESSework FOR YOUR PREDICTION. Your work should include calculations for the speed leaving the table, and the placement of the ring.
- The ball must be released from a minimum height of 20 cm above the table.
When successful, complete the following and submit:
- A vector diagram of the x- and y- velocities and the total velocity of the marble just before it hits the ground (drawn to scale on graph paper).
- Show GUESSework for the component method for adding the vectors above and calculating the angle with which the ball hit the ground.
- Accurate x-t and v-t graphs of both the horizontal and vertical components of the ball throughout it's flight.
- You can do these all on the same piece of graph paper, with your partner.
- Due Mon. 10/16: Practice 3.5 (I would get started now in case you have any questions.)
- You should also start taking a look at the next Practicum Lab that you will be doing with a partner: Shoot the Hoop. You will not receive a grade until you complete the challenge successfully.
- Syllabus and Safety Contract. Submit Google Form - students, parents.
- Complete this online activity (approx 15 min)