Find your sticks and start discussing the lab (below). We're going to celebrate Pi Day by doing some rotational stuff!
Learning Goal: I can...
- ...extend the particle model to a rigid-body model of an object.
- ...relate the rotational quantities (angular position, velocity, and acceleration) to linear quantities.
- ...understand and apply the concept of conservation of angular momentum.
Today: Balancing Act
- Given: A set of unequal masses, a pivoting fulcrum, and mass hooks that can all attach to the meterstick
- Find: Place the fulcrum and three unequal masses appropriately on the meterstick, and determine an equation which describes static equilibrium for the system (Hint: Torque is the rotational version of force!). Show your work on the board.